Atkins Low Carb Diet Plan is one of the best diets to lose weight effectively. Many people in the world followed this Atkins diet and reduced their weight in considerable amount.
This is the extreme weight loss strategy that works for the people who like to lose weight within few days.
- What is the Atkins diet?
- A Brief Approach to Atkins Low Carb Diet Plan
- The Spread of the Diet
- How does the Atkins Diet work?
- Atkins Diet Meal Plan for a Week
- Atkins diet food list to EAT
- Foods to Avoid on the Atkins diet
- Counter Arguments over Atkins diet
- Wrong notions about Atkins Low Carb Diet Plan
- Important takeaway of Atkins diet
What is the Atkins diet?
Dr. Robert Atkins, in 1960’s started implementing a diet called “Atkins diet” after the paper that was published by “The Journal of the American Association”.
This was actually a diet plan that was constructed to overcome this “Obesity and overweight condition”, but later he popularized this Atkins concept worldwide through his journals called “Diet revolution”.
Atkins diet is basically a low carbohydrate content, but rich in fiber and roughage content.
A Brief Approach to Atkins Low Carb Diet Plan
Atkins Low Carb Diet Plan actually goes according to the “Metabolism Advantage” Theory, which states that consumption of carbohydrates induces a process called Ketosis (Metabolism of glucose or stored fat to different forms of energy) and Lipolysis (It is a process that is induced to low glucose and insulin level to produce ketone bodies) which leads to increase in blood pressure, sugar levels, and other elements which leads to increase in Diabetes, Hyperglycemia (increase in glucose and fructose levels).
To overcome this, “Atkins Nutritional approach” was brought to save people from food items with high glucose index, unsaturated fat levels, sugar level, and the alcoholic index, etc.
This diet’s major aim is to target people with cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, obesity, etc.
The Spread of the Diet
Atkins Low Carb Diet Plan became highly popular in early 2000’s, because of which there was a step decrease in the sales of food like pasta, rice, milk products, etc.
Also, many companies focused on low carbohydrate food, which leads to dropping in sales of fast foods to 10%.
Recently there was a bankruptcy case registered on “Atkins Brand”, but later the case was terminated.
How does the Atkins Diet work?
There are 4 phases in the Atkins diet plan. They are as follows.
- Induction Phase.
- OWL (Ongoing weight loss) Phase.
- Pre-Maintenance Phase.
- Lifetime Maintenance Phase.
1. INDUCTION PHASE
This is the “Prime phase” where a considerable amount of weight loss can be witnessed.
This phase involves consumption of extremely low carbohydrate content. This includes treated vegetables, Spinach, broccoli, turnips, meat, poultry, fish varieties, etc.
A special introduction of “Caffeine and Alcohol” products were introduced but in very small amounts.
A normal diet followed in the induction phase is consumption of fresh vegetables and other products in small amounts say 20 gram to 75 gram.
As a supplement to all these diet plans, a medicine called “Ketostix” is taken in order to know the outcomes of “Ketogenesis” taking place in their body.
A survey shows that it is highly useful for people who are “Non- Diabetic” since they show accurate readings and it is not recommended for patients with stage 2 or stage 3 “Diabetes Mellitus”.
Note: Alcoholic drinks or beverage items can cause side effects; hence they need to be strictly prevented.
2. ONGOING WEIGHT LOSS (OWL) PHASE
OWL or Ongoing Weight loss program is the second phase in which the intake levels are raised to a little higher level as compared to the previous phase.
The ultimate objective of this plan is to “Analyze and know the perfect diet plan followed with its corresponding amounts”.
Therefore, this phase is called “experimental phase”, where different ‘rungs’ or different combinations of food are taken.
The target of this phase is to reduce at least 10 pounds of the body weight.
The diet plan of this phase is not complex stuff, as it involves only simple and daily items like tomato juices, various fruit juices, seeds and berries, yogurt and curd products, cereals and grains, fresh and leafy vegetables, etc.
Here alcohol is permitted (but only in reasonable amounts). Spirits and red wines are also included to increase the efficiency of the above-mentioned intake.
3. PRE-MAINTENANCE PHASE
This phase can last about a month or 3 weeks depending upon the dieter’s requirement.
This phase involves, increasing the level of carbohydrate by 10 grams every week to cook for the positive outcomes.
This phase should generally involve higher consumption of “Water” (particularly RO treated water) or other liquid food items.
Once the dieters are able to effectively reduce their weight up to a certain level and maintain it, they can increase their consumption by 10 grams in each food item.
Also in this phase, the dieters can include the food items that were initially excluded and can negotiate a little bit on their consumption levels.
This phase generally tests the flexibility of dieter and hence this phase can also be called the “flexibility phase” of Atkins diet plan.
4. LIFETIME MAINTENANCE
This is the final phase of the Atkins Low Carb Diet Plan. People generally have a lot of misconceptions about this phase, as they assume that this phase generally marks the end of the ‘weight loss program’ and resume their old habits of their unhealthy diet.
But this phase generally marks the end of the formal diet plan only. This plan needs to be maintained throughout their lifetime for a healthy life ahead.
Atkins Diet Meal Plan for a Week
Looking for a healthy Atkins Low Carb Diet Plan? Here I give you the best diet structure. This is for people who love being a perfectionist in maintaining their diet and also for people who are health conscious.
A coffee to start in the morning followed by some slices of bacon and eggs.
A chicken salad and a boiled egg for lunch.
If u are a vegetarian ,Go for a Cabbage with butter,else go for a hot fish fry at night..!! You will love it…
Maybe, A tea will do to begin, with followed by sausages and some hot cereals (If available).
Go for a beef or a pork. If you are a vegetarian, go for a Cream Cheese and butter for lunch.
For dinner, go for a fruit salad, slices of onions and mashed mushrooms. This is just a choice put in front of you.
Out of all these pick out the best that is readily available and cheap for dinner.
Caution: Don’t overload with too many items at night. Because it may spoil the whole motive and the objective of the diet plan of staying healthy!
Some slices of bacon and a cup of tea will do for a brisk morning.
A spinach and a vegetable (avoid deep frying) will do for the lunch.
At night, a vegetable sausage with a spaghetti squash is advisable.
Some garlic pieces can also be taken as a supplement. But see that you don’t overeat.
A coffee or a Tea followed with some soft boiled eggs for breakfast will do for a fresh day ahead.
A chef salad with some chopped eggs can be taken for lunch.
Chicken with almonds will do for lunch.
For dinner, go for a Cauliflower with butter and cream.
An omelet and a coffee for the morning will keep you active throughout the day.
A veg roll and a salad of a fresh fruit will do for lunch.
And some chicken with almonds will supplement the whole day’s food.
Two boiled eggs followed by any hot beverage will be a refreshing start to the morning.
And if good quality red onions are available, just make some number of slices. Add it to the fresh curd taken in a bowl.
Some slices of tomatoes can also be added to give it a colorful look. Have it as a supplement to the grilled Beef.
For dinner try making a “TACO SALAD…”. For the procedure just refer (www.the-Atkins-diet.info).
A boiled egg with a beverage is again recommended for a brisk morning.
For lunch, prefer having a “Simple cheese dip”(2 plastic cups of blue cheese or any cream cheese along with some pepper if needed).
For dinner, go for some chopped and thoroughly mashed cabbage or cauliflower or any other leafy vegetables.
Atkins diet food list to EAT
- Meats: Beef, Veal, pork, bacon, and Lamb.
- Poultry: Chicken, Duck, Turkey, etc.
- Sea Foods: Trout, Tuna, Bass, Lobster, Salmon, Shrimp, Sardines, Scallops, Prawns, Crabs and shellfish.
- Dairy: Butter, Heavy Cream, cheese, full-fat yogurt, Greek yogurt, Soya milk (unsweetened)
- Vegetables: Kale, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Asparagus, Bean sprouts, Lettuce, tomatoes, onions, Cabbage, Celeriac, Courgettes, Leeks, Spinach, Kohlrabi, Marrow, Okra, Summer squash, Chard, Turnips, Water chestnuts, Pumpkin, Bamboo shoots, Beet greens, Brussels sprouts, etc.
- Nuts: Almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts, etc.
- Seeds: Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Healthy Fats:Avocado oil, virgin olive oil, Coconut oil.
- Fruits: Apples, Avocados, pears, oranges, etc.
- Condiments:Pepper, Sea salt, Turmeric, garlic, Cinnamon, Parsley, etc.
- Dark chocolate
- Green Salads
Foods to Avoid on the Atkins diet
- Sugars: White sugar, Maple syrup, Honey, Flavored yogurts, Brown sugar, Molasses, Milk, Corn syrup, Candy, Ice Cream, Beer (contains barley malt), Cake and fruit juices.
- Starches: Grains, rice, Wheat, Rye, Barley, Cereals, Flour, Cornstarch, Bread, Pastas, Muffins, Bagels, Crackers, and Spelt.
- Starchy vegetables: Black Beans, Potatoes, Pinto, Peas, Carrots, Lima, Parsnips, French Fries, Corn, Potato Chips, etc.
- Oils: Cottonseed Oil, Soybean Oil, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, etc.
- High-Carbohydrate Fruits:Apples, Bananas, Grapes, Oranges, and Pears.
- High-Carbohydrate Vegetables:Carrots and Turnips.
Counter Arguments over Atkins diet
Generally, Atkins diet has a large variety of dishes due to which “cost factors” need to be considered.
Many food analysts targeted this issue and compared it with “Ornish Diets”, “Paleo diet, ““Weight Watchers diet”, etc. which in turn showed that “Atkins had a comparatively higher percentage of varieties which were a little costlier than the average dishes consumed in North America”.
For preventing these comparisons, there was an individual test of these diet varieties among which ‘Atkins’ showed a considerable effect on weight loss.
Wrong notions about Atkins Low Carb Diet Plan
- People’s wrong conception about this diet leads to its controversies in the later stages of its implementation. Generally, people preconceive that “Atkins diet involves consumption of low carbohydrates and high fatty food items such as cheese or a burger”.
- Also, people generally don’t differentiate the different phase in this Atkins Low Carb Diet Plan. The most primary phase in this diet is the “Induction phase” which involves the major weight losing techniques to be followed.
- Generally, people complain about the inefficiency of these phases without following the “Induction phase” properly.
Important takeaway of Atkins diet
It is highly recommended for people to follow the “Induction phase” seriously for a long time or for a good number of days to taste the success of “losing weight” and gradually increasing the level of carbohydrates to achieve a stable state.
Losing weight by following Atkins Low Carb Diet Plan can’t be achieved in a day. So be patience and harvest your success.
Enjoy having these foods, and share your experience and benefits on our site. Meet you all with yet another diet plan.
- “Dr.Atkins Diet Revolution” by Dr.Atkins.
- “Nature’s answer to drugs” by Dr.Atkins.
- “The ultimate diet for weight loss” by Eric. C. Westman.