Hot doughnuts, particularly dark chocolate ones, have always been on my list of hot-favourite desserts. But I was always aware that it was one of the most sinful indulgences. The only silver lining was it had dark chocolate which was discovered to have amazing health benefits. I can’t remember the last time I had an entire doughnut all by myself.
When I started with my cooking experiments, I wondered if there was a way of making them less sinful. Surely, one could bake them instead of frying them I thought.
I went through a few sites and finally came across a simple recipe for baked doughnuts. This involved the use of yeast, almost similar to making bread. I even managed to find a doughnut cutter but was skeptical about its taste.
Then I found a recipe where it was baked in a tray like cake. But the problem was the baking mould. It’s impossible to find one locally. So when I found a reasonably priced one online, I wasted no time in trying them out. And here it is! I have substituted maida with whole-wheat flour and sugar with jaggery powder.
Feast on These No-Sin Chocolate Doughnuts
- Whole-wheat Flour – 1 cup
- English Cocoa powder – 1 tbsp
- Jaggery Powder – 1/2 cup
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon Powder – 1 tsp
- Nutmeg Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Egg – 1
- Curd – 1/4 cup
- Milk – 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Essence – 2 tsp
- Sieve the dry ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Beat the egg well.
- Add to the dry mixture.
- Add curds and butter.
- Adjust consistency with milk.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Bake for 12 mins.
- Test if done with a knife.
- Cool slightly.
- Melt dark chocolate with little water.
- Dip the doughnut and twist to coat well.
- Add sprinkle on top.
- Cinnamon powder 1tsp
- Jaggery powder – ¼ cup
- Mix cinnamon powder and jaggery.
- Roll the warm doughnuts in the mixture.
- Serve warm with steaming hot tea or coffee.
Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate
- Has high levels of flavonoids, antioxidants also found (but in lower amounts) in tea, red wine, and apples
- Antioxidants protect cells and tissues from damage by free radicals.
- Contains significant amounts of magnesium important for energy production, strong bones, relaxed muscles and effective nerve transmission.
- Also has copper which helps the body produce neurotransmitters.
- Promotes cardiovascular health.
- Raises levels of HDL, the good cholesterol.
- Enhances mood and promotes cognitive function.
The best way to add dark chocolate to your diet is a replacement for other sweets
When you are shopping for a dark chocolate bar, go for at least 70 per cent cocoa. Higher the percentage, the more antioxidant content. If you really want to prioritize the antioxidant content, buy cocoa powder. It has the highest concentration of flavonoids of any dark chocolate product
Health Benefits of Whole Wheat Flour
- Rich in fibre. Helps to lower risk of diabetes and helps in weight loss
- Rich in B group vitamins, folic acid, calcium, and iron