Did you know that baking soda is an extremely easy ingredient to clean your hair? When used correctly, baking soda does clean, soften, and revive your hair.
People concerned about the additives in commercial shampoos. Baking soda dissolved in water is able to remove the buildup of oils, soaps, and other chemical ingredients in typical hair care products.
By removing these chemical agents, baking soda can give you clean, shiny, and soft hair. This powerful natural exfoliant helps to remove dry skin from the scalp.
Baking soda has a high pH, and rinsing with vinegar is helpful to restore your scalp’s natural pH balance.
What are the harmful ingredients in commercial shampoo?
- Sodium laurel sulfate
Natural hair conditioners and herbal shampoos give more strength to your hair and reduce early hair fall.
Baking Soda Shampoo
So here is the DIY recipe on Baking Soda Shampoo. What makes this shampoo special is its ability to replace the chemical filled commercial shampoos with a more natural alternative.
- Baking Soda (2 tbsps)
- Apple Cider Vinegar (1 tbsp)
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking powder in a small bowl.
- Then add some water into it (1:3 ratio. 1 part of baking soda with 3 parts water.) Concentrated baking soda may harm your scalp and hair. So, use the diluted one.
- Stir it will.
- Then apply this diluted baking soda solution on your hair (starting at the roots and working to the ends).
- Leave it on for 5 minutes and rinse off your hair with warm water.
- After washing and rinsing with the baking soda mixture, you’ll want to apply a vinegar rinse.
- Then finally use the natural hair conditioner. Apply the apple cider vinegar solution to the scalp and hair. Leave it on for 5-10 minutes and wash it off.
- Repeat this once in a week. Don’t use often, then baking soda will harm your scalp and hair.
- Any leftover baking soda on your scalp may cause irritation. So, wash it properly.
- Always use the diluted baking soda solution. Don’t use the concentrated one.
- Once you clean your hair with baking soda, your hair will be in high pH. This will make your hair dry and frizzy. Hence it is very important to bring back its normal pH of 4-5. Use the apple cider vinegar solution as a natural hair conditioner to regulate the pH level.
- Pay attention to how your hair feels after the baking soda, wash. If your hair feels dry or brittle, you have to dilute the baking soda in your next wash. If you feel any irritation or hair loss, better don’t use this method.
- While applying this baking soda solution/apple cider vinegar on your hair, make sure to keep your eyes safe.
- But using baking soda as a shampoo replacement for a long term may harm your hair. So, don’t use it for a long-term.