Are you looking to buy a best convertible car seat for your baby? Then make a list of your priorities first! You must know what you need and what can you do without.
Choosing the right convertible car seat can be a matter of life and death. That is why we have created a list of best convertible car seats 2017. Most of the top-rated convertible car seats gave priority to safety, ease of use, and convenience. They are many car seats available but your child’s safety and your peace of mind are worth the money.
As your kid outgrows his/her infant car seat, a convertible seat is the next option. The multi purpose car seats can be installed in both rear facing and forward facing configurations. Hope you already know about what is a convertible car seat, so without any delay, I will jump into the review.
- 10 Best Convertible Car Seats 2017
- 1. Graco 4Ever All-in-1 Car Seat – Best of the Bests
- 2. Diono Radian RXT Convertible Car Seat – Safe and Space Saver
- 3. Britax Advocate ClickTight ARB – Extra Protection
- 4. Britax Boulevard ClickTight Convertible Car Seat – Extra Protection
- 5. Britax Marathon ClickTight – Easy Install and Super Comfy
- 6. Chicco NextFit Convertible Car Seat – Easy Install
- 7. Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat – Ultimate Comfort
- 8. Graco Contender 65 – Best Bang for Your Budget
- 9. Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible – Sleek Safety
- 10. Evenflo Tribute LX – Bargain Buy and Space Saver
- How We Tested the Car Seats?
10 Best Convertible Car Seats 2017
Here we selected and reviewed the best convertible car seats available in the market now (2017). We hope that our review is very helpful for you in choosing the right best car seat for your kid.
|Car Seat Models||Purpose||Price|
|1. Graco 4Ever All-in-1 Car Seat||Best of the Bests|
|2. Diono Radian RXT Convertible Car Seat||Safe and Space Saver|
|3. Britax Advocate ClickTight ARB||Extra Protection|
|4. Britax Boulevard ClickTight Convertible Car Seat||Extra Protection|
|5. Britax Marathon ClickTight||Easy Install and Super Comfy|
|6. Chicco NextFit Convertible Car Seat||Easy Install|
|7. Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat||Ultimate Comfort|
|8. Graco Contender 65||Best Bang for Your Budget|
|9. Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible||Sleek Safety|
|10. Evenflo Tribute LX||Bargain Buy and Space Saver|
If you have a low budget, get the Graco Contender 65. It is the best bang for your money in all aspects. You may also consider buying Evenflo Tribute LX if you have a very low budget of less than $50. If you have a small car and want a compact convertible car seat, then go for Diono Radian RXT.
Lets see the best convertible car seats 2017 review in detail.
1. Graco 4Ever All-in-1 Car Seat – Best of the Bests
The Graco 4Ever All-in-1 is the best convertible car seat which fits for babies from their birth until they can go booster. With the top notch quality, this car seat model leads the market.
It is very comfortable for your baby. Our tests show that it is easy to adjust the height of the straps and also easy to tighten or loosen the straps when your baby gets in and out. Further, it is really easy to take apart to clean and convert as your baby grows.
The Graco is more narrow so will fit in the car better. Further, the Graco material seems more water-resistant and the foam feels denser like a memory foam.
- 4-in-1 Convertible Car Seat gives you 10 years of use from 4 to 120 pounds
- Rear-facing baby car seat – 4 to 40 pounds
- Forward-facing toddler car seat – 20 to 65 pounds
- Booster seats in back belt-positioning mode – 30 to 100 pounds
- Booster seats in backless belt-positioning mode – 40 to 120 pounds
Keeping a newborn baby, this convertible car seat features plush inserts to give additional comfort. As your baby grows, the 2 integrated cup holders keep your child’s drinks and snacks close at hand, even as a booster seat!
As you know that installing a baby car seat has never been easier! So, Graco comes with an exclusive InRight latch attachment. This InRight latch provides an easy one-second attachment with an audio click signal to help confirm the secure installation. So, no need to worry about proper installation.
Like this, I can keep adding to many of its features. So, for time being here I listed those features.
- Crash tested to meet the US standard FMVSS 213.
- Easy to remove washable seat cover.
- Easy-to-read level indicator.
- Sturdy enough to ensure safety.
- Energy absorbing foam for competent energy management.
- Extreme Car Interior Temperatures.
- InRight Latch system for an easy, 1-second Latch attachment.
- Side-impact tested for occupant retention with built-in 5-point harness system.
- Steel-reinforced frame provides strength and durability for years of smart utility.
- The 10-position headrest is designed to provide optimal safety can be easily adjusted with one hand!
- The 6-position recline easily adjusts to fit and seamlessly takes your little one from infancy to grade school in comfort and style.
- The Simply Safe Adjust Harness System is very helpful in adjusting the height of your harness and headrest (with single step), to confirm that your child is always secured.
2. Diono Radian RXT Convertible Car Seat – Safe and Space Saver
The car seat is narrow, which in turn saves more space of your car. You can fold this car seat for travel and fits well for small and mid-sized cars.
- Rear-facing baby car seat – 5 to 45 pounds
- Forward-facing toddler car seat – 20 to 80 pounds
- Booster seats – 120 pounds
The full steel frame makes this model as one of the safest car seats available today. The frame seems very solid and the bolstering around the baby seems very sufficient. The Infant body support cushions and memory foams in this model add extra comfort for your baby. The machine washable cover and included cup holder make this car seat even more convenient for your baby.
This car seat has some similar features as like the above Graco’s model such as adjustable headrest with reinforced sidewalls, Expandable sides, EPS foam and energy-absorbing harness system for added safety and a longer seat bottom offer better leg support.
- This All-in-One convertible car seat surpasses Federal crash test standards.
- The rXT is tested at its maximum forward-facing, rear-facing, and booster weight capacities.
- It is insanely durable and lasts long for 10 years of life.
- Easy setup.
- The car seat is FAA approved for use on airplanes.
- Extended rear and forward facing seat.
3. Britax Advocate ClickTight ARB – Extra Protection
This car seat outperforms all the other models in protection. Yes, it has 3 layers of Side Impact Protection (the side impact padding is massive on the Britax Advocate). So, it seems to be costly, but definitely, it’s worth the money. So, Advocate ClickTight from Britax is one of the best convertible car seats in 2017.
- The ClickTight Installation System gives ultimate safety and easy car seat installation.
- The SafeCell Impact Protection includes a V-shaped tether, steel frame, and energy-absorbing base to minimize seat rotation that reduces forward movement during a crash.
- The 3 layers of side impact protection (by a deep foam-lined shell), side cushions and quick-adjust head protection works like a tank and shields your child from dangerous collisions.
- The click and safe snug harness indicator makes a click sound and ensure you the proper tightening of your child’s harness.
- The 14-position harness and 2-position buckle provides more comfort, protection and fit as your child grows.
4. Britax Boulevard ClickTight Convertible Car Seat – Extra Protection
You may be wonder about another convertible car seat from Britax in this top 10 reviews. Yes, Britax deserves the place. This is a Convertible car seat model from Britax with specialized installation system.
The deep energy-absorbing shell and foam-lined headrest make up two layers of protection to shield your baby from side impacts. The side impact protection is so much better than the Graco 4Ever. There are different positions available to make Rear Facing to Front Facing conversion simpler.
The Click & Safe Snug Harness Indicator is the added advantage for your child. This lets you know that your child’s harness is within the range of proper tightness. It’s just more comfortable for your kid with a ton of padding, and so many good features.
- ClickTight Installation System for easy installation
- SafeCell Impact Protection system for additional safety.
- Energy-absorbing headrest.
- FAA approved for use on airplanes.
- Removable and hand-washable seat cover.
- The seat can be tethered in the forward facing or rear facing position.
- Side-impact protection.
- 14-position harness and 2-position buckle adjustable seat to your growing baby.
- 7-position recline.
- Easy to clean.
5. Britax Marathon ClickTight – Easy Install and Super Comfy
Another best car seat from Britax! This Britax Marathon Clicktight Convertible car seat shares some of the features with the above Britax Boulevard Model. Both seem extremely comfortable and are easy to use and install.
This seat is by far the easiest convertible seat to install. The inbuilt deep foam-lined shell absorbs energy and protects your child from the most dangerous type of crashes. The Click & Safe Snug Harness Indicator is the only thing that is missing when compared to the other 2 Britax car seats.
Similar Features shared by both Britax Models
- EZ-Buckle System
- Proudly engineered, tested and made in the USA
- 12 Quick-Adjust Headrest Positions
- SafeCell Impact Absorbing Harness Pads
- SafeCell Impact Stabilizing Steel Frame
- SafeCell Impact Absorbing Base
|Features||Britax Boulevard||Britax Marathon ClickTight||Advocate ClickTight|
|Layers of Side Impact Protection||2||1||3|
|ClickTight Installation System||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Click & Safe Snug Harness Indicator||Yes||No||Yes|
|Quick-Adjust Headrest Positions||14||12||14|
The above table clearly states that the Britax Boulevard convertible car seat provides extra protection than the Marathon ClickTight model. Also, the Marathon clickTight car seat lags the Easy On/Off Latch Connectors and Click & Safe Snug Harness Indicator. But at the same time, the ClickTight Installation System for easy installation imakesthis car model more powerful.
Note: We did’t mean that Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible car seat is not safe. Really all Britax models are very safe and easy for installation. But when compared to the Marathon ClickTight car seat model, the Boulevard model provides one layer of additional protection to your child.
The only problem we faced while using this convertible car seat is, in the smaller cars the front passenger seat has to be moved up a lot to accommodate this car seat while rear-facing!
6. Chicco NextFit Convertible Car Seat – Easy Install
The NextFit is the convertible car seat model from Chicco. This car sear model is easy to install and gives extra protection for your baby. You can use the NextFit for your child from the beginning infant stage to the pre-school (up to 65lbs).
- Designed for rear-facing use – 5-40lbs
- Designed for forward-facing – 22-65lbs
The straps are super easy to adjust, and we don’t have any problem reaching the seat to take the baby in and out. Our tests shows that this car seat model is very sturdy, looks great, and it looks very comfortable.
- 6-position headrest has integrated harness tuning to accommodate growing children
- Integrated slide path makes the car seat easy to re-position LATCH strap for conversion from rear-facing to forward-facing.
- The recline 9-position levelling system makes the convertible seat accurate fit in a wider range of vehicles.
- The super Cinch LATCH Tightener is useful in helping to achieve tight and secure fit with a fraction of the effort!
- This car model has 2 ride right bubble levels to specify accurate seat angle in both rear-facing and forward-facing modes.
7. Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat – Ultimate Comfort
- Rear-facing infant car seat – 9-40 pounds
- Forward-facing toddler car seat – 22-70 pounds
It has three recline positions. Two for forward facing and one for rear facing. It reclines rear facing at the same position as the Graco’s infant car seat.
We don’t face any difficulties getting a tight install with LATCH and we had no problems with tightening the harness straps during installation. You can easily remove the pads for cleaning and pads can be removed without completely uninstalling the car seat.
- 3 recline positions.
- Air protect superior side impact protection and stay-in-car adjustable base adds extra protection for your baby.
- Easy to clean.
- Headrest and harness adjust with one hand.
- Integrated cup holder.
- Machine washable and dryer safe.
- No harness rethreading.
- Self-wicking fabrics and premium padding keep your kid dry and comfortable.
- TinyFit system provides a better fit for small babies from 4 to 22 lbs.
8. Graco Contender 65 – Best Bang for Your Budget
- Rear-facing infant car seat – 5 – 40 pounds
- Forward-facing toddler car seat – 20 – 65 pounds
The seat is extremely plush for the baby and the straps work well without a single issue. The One-hand 8-position adjustable headrest easily adapts to your growing childs needs, helping to keep your child secure during journeys.
This convertible car seat is LATCH equipped, so you ca n install the car seat either with your vehicle’s seat belt or with the built-in LATCH system. Also, the easy-to-read level indicator is very helpful for easy installation in the rear-facing position.
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System is safe and simple with a one-hand.
- The five point make it easy to get your growing child in and out of the car seat.
- No re-thread harness that automatically adjusts.
- Side-impact tested for additional safety.
- Side impact tested and crash tested to meet or exceed US safety standard FMVSS 213
- You can adjust the strap height without re-threading.
When compared to the Graco’s 4ever model, this Contender 65 car seat is light weight. And it doesnot have the features such as Booster Seat Weight Limit, InRight LATCH, and Shoulder Belt Positioner. Also the GRaco 4ever model has 2 cup holders and this one has only 1 Cup Holder.
9. Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible – Sleek Safety
This Convertible car seat follows your child from infancy through the toddler years by converting from a rear-facing to a forward-facing car seat. Simply, this is a very safe car seat with great side impact protection.
- Rear-facing baby car seat – 5 to 45 pounds
- Forward Facing Toddler car seat – 22 to 65 pounds
It has added several safety features, such as adjustable Side Impact Protection, a Shock Absorbing Foam Element device and Expanded Poly Styrene energy-absorbing foam.
- The shock absorbing foam on the sides of the car protect your baby’s head, neck, and spine in the event of an accident.
- The energy-absorbing foam throughout the seat protects child’s head and torso from impact forces.
- The adjustable latch connectors add stability and are easy to reposition for rear-facing or forward-facing installation
- Our tests shows that this convertible car seat is extremely easy to install, and the buckles worked very well for quickly getting the child in and out of the seat.
- The fabric is breathable and easy to clean
- Easy and adjustable headrest.
10. Evenflo Tribute LX – Bargain Buy and Space Saver
Evenflo has been a leader in safety, innovation and education. The convertible car seat Tribute LX is the cheap and best car seat available now. You may be amazed that how they are providing this much features at this low price. Overall it’s a pretty great deal for the price.
I would say that you will be surprised at the quality of this car seat. The Tribute LX car seat is well made, easy to install, good latch system, and is very secure in our vehicle. Also, putting in and taking it out of a car is very easy. The cup holder is a nice added bonus too!
- Rear-facing baby car seat – 5 to 40 lbs.
- Forward Facing Toddler car seat – 22 to 40 lbs.
- Light weight and highly portable
- The 5-point harness system with 4 shoulder strap positions allow this convertible car seat to accommodate growing children longer
- Rear-facing Recline
- Removable cup holder
- Removable head pillow for additional comfort and support.
- Side Impact Tested
- The light weight nature of Tribute LX car seat makes it an excellent choice for smaller cars, shift between multiple cars, and during air travel.
- This convertible car seat meets or exceeds all applicable Federal Safety Standards
- Upfront Harness Adjustment
- 2 Crotch buckle positions for extended use.
- 4 shoulder strap positions
- 5-point harness system with up-front adjustment
- Easy-off, machine-washable car seat pad
How We Tested the Car Seats?
We considered over 20 popular convertible car seats available right now on the market and purchased 14 out of them in order to find out the best convertible car seats of all time. Even though, all of the car seat models passed in the test we presented only 10 best convertible car seats here for you. We skipped 4 models which does not satisfy our basic criteria.
All current car seat models that are available on the market meet the Government safety standards. But the additional features and the lifetime of the car seat may varies depends on the manufacturer.
Okay, you may have a question that, what are all the criteria we considered for testing the car seat?
We gave first and foremost priorities to both safety and comfort of your kid (by conducting crash test).
Other than these two big features, we considered the below features,
- Ease of Use.
- Ease of Installation.
- Car seat’s height and weight limits.
After six months of rigorous testing with the above-mentioned features, we could provide you the detailed review of best convertible car seat for your family and budget.
As like other reviews, we purchased every product (car seats) reviewed here. Also, to give you an accurate result, we consulted more than 1000 parents about the usage and functionalities of the selected car seats. So you can trust our reviews and we assure that the results are unbiased.
In a Nutshell,
Trying to find the best convertible car seat for your baby? The convertible car seat is suitable for babies, toddlers, and kids. You can adjust the car seat as your child grows.
Here we selected and reviewed the best convertible car seats available in the market now. We hope that our review is very helpful for you in choosing the right best car seat for your kid.
If you have a low budget, get the Graco Contender 65. It is the best bang for your money in all aspects. You may also consider buying Evenflo Tribute LX, if you have a very low budget of less than $50.