Dryness around eyes can be common during the winter months. Dry, flaky skin around your eyes can be quite bothersome. The skin around the eyes is even more sensitive and prone to dryness, fine lines, wrinkles, and other skin problems. The dry skin patches around eyes or eyelids can flake and itch, and become red and irritated.
Why do you have dry skin around your eyes? This dry or flaky skin around eyes may be because of many reasons and treatment options. The condition can be severe or mild and that determines whether you use simple solutions or rely on stronger medical treatment.
By knowing about the causes of dry skin we can figure out how to eliminate these dry skin problems. The dry flaky skin around eyes can affect anyone, at any time – but skin conditions like eczema, are more likely to hurt your skin. You can use the Aloe Vera cream or the best skin moisturizing cream to get instant relief from dryness around eyes.
- How Do You Feel Dry Skin Around Your Eyes?
- What Are The Causes for Dry Skin Around Your Eyes?
- How to Treat Dry Flaky Skin on Your face?
- Home Remedies to Cure Dry Skin Around Eyes
- Medical Treatments for Dryness Around Eyes
- When to Visit a Doctor?
- How to Avoid Dryness Around Eyes?
How Do You Feel Dry Skin Around Your Eyes?
The skin under the eyes is even more sensitive than the skin on other parts of your body. You may be more prone to dry, flaky skin around your eyes if other areas of your face are also dry.
Usually, the hydrated skin around eyes has plum cells. When the skin becomes dry, those cells may shrink and forms the wrinkles or fine lines. The dry skin can flake and itch, and become red and irritated. It may feel rough and raw, causing the skin around your eyes to swell and become sore.
- It causes itching and hurts.
- Dry skin around eyes makes you feel uncomfortable.
- It destroys the appearance.
What Are The Causes for Dry Skin Around Your Eyes?
Why do you have dry skin around your eyes? As I said earlier, there are many causes for dry flaky skin around eyes. The symptoms of dry, flaky skin around the eyes aren’t pretty and definitely aren’t comfortable. The dry spots under eyes can be the result of following causes.
1. Dermatological Disorders
There are several dermatological disorders which may cause dryness around your eyes, including:
- Sunburn: Over exposure or even exposure to sun rays (Ultra violet rays) can cause severe or minor burns to the skin of your eyes. If you are exposed to a welder’s arc or a sunlamp, this may also cause the dry skin around eyes.
- Blepharitis: Blepharitis causes your eyelids to inflame with scaly, dry skin. It can be activated by facial rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis or bacterial infections. This results in under eye dry patches.
- Perioral Dermatitis: The Perioral Dermatitis is also one of the causes for dry flaky skin under eyes. This is a serious condition caused in adult women which may spread to your mouth and nose areas. This is a kind of skin rash that is caused due to poor hygiene.
- Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema: If you notice a red dry skin around eyes, then it is due to Eczema. This condition may affect the area around the eyes like the eyelids. Atopic Dermatitis may cause both scaly skins as well as dryness.
2. Climate Conditions
Another cause for dry skin around eyes may be due to climatic conditions, with both humid as well as hot weather being the major culprit. Any extreme weather conditions or even sudden changes to it may aggravate your skin’s dryness, making it worse.
3. Stress Around Eyes
Dryness around eyes may also be caused due to Stress is given to the skin. This is caused because of excessively rubbing the skin or wearing and applying makeup.
Some examples of causing stress to the skin by the eyes would be using dirty makeup brushes with accumulated bacteria, applying mascara and eyeliner, or even applying concealer so that you can hide the dark skin underneath your eyes. If this is cause for your dry flaky skin under eyes, you can use cream to get rid of dry skin around eyes.
4. Contact With Harsh Chemicals
The skin around your eyes is very delicate, and if it is dry and flaky, it could also be red and irritated.
When exposed to harsh chemicals they may also cause the dry skin around eyes. Certain kind of toxins and chemicals, including skin products and facial cleaners, may cause this type of irritation to your skin which is thinner and more sensitive.
Flaky skin around eyes can be a bit challenging to deal with. Some of the medications, such as those for acne and high blood pressure may also lead to dry skin.
How to Treat Dry Flaky Skin on Your face?
Here are some of the best treatments for dry skin around eyes. Let’s see them in detail.
1. Weather and Climate
Dry skin around the eyelids can be common during the winter months. Use of a humidifier, moisturize properly, and wearing proper clothes are some of the measures to protect your skin from these elements.
It’s better to use skin moisturizing cream to get instant remedy from dry patches under eyes that are caused due to the climatic condition.
2. Usage of harsh products on your body
The dry itchy skin around eyes is due to the over usage of some harsh products on your face. Make sure that your hair products and detergents are so gentle and switch to hypoallergenic and gentle facial products and moisturizers.
If you have noticed a change in your skin health since you started a new prescription immediately consult your doctor.
4. Treatment for Sunburn
Dry skin under the eyes can affect anyone, at any time. The ideal treatment for this is preventing from recurring. Don’t go outside between 9 AM and 5 PM where sun rays have more intense. Wear sunscreen protective glasses. Apply aloe vera, milk, or an oatmeal compress.
You can use Aloe Vera cream to get rid of dry skin around eyes. As an alternative, you can go for best sun screen lotions.
5. Treatment for Blepharitis
Apply a warm compress to the eyelids or apply marigold or calendar topically to naturally eliminate this type of red dry patches under eyes.
Try eating foods like omega-3 fatty acids, ginger, and turmeric that are naturally anti-inflammatory. Also apply tea tree oil, coconut oil or castor oil on the top layer of the skin to treat dry flaky skin around eyes.
6. Treatment for Perioral Dermatitis
Scented facial cleansers or soaps that irritate your skin should be avoided. Wash your face using pure warm water and stop wearing makeup temporarily, at least that by your eyes. Also, stop using any face cream and gel or liquid sunscreen for a certain period to get quick heal from dryness around eyes.
7. Treatment for Eczema
Have a bath with Epsom salts, apply sea or salt water as a spray on the top layer or use organic coconut oil to remove dry spots under eyes. Eating foods with high quantities of probiotics or gelatin as probiotics will boost good bacteria and heals the dryness.
Apply plain yogurt or increase the consumption of yogurt intake, eat foods with potassium like buttermilk, cottage cheese, miso, and kefir.
Home Remedies to Cure Dry Skin Around Eyes
Here I listed the best home remedies for your dry skin under eyes. In addition to the above dry skin treatments, follow these home remedies to recover faster.
1. Cucumber juice
Cucumber is the best home remedy for excessive dryness around the eyes. Apply cucumber juice on those dry skin patches and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes. Now wash with warm water. Then apply quality moisturizer in this dry skin area.
The next remedy for your red dry skin around eyes is the golden liquid, Honey. Apply a certain amount of honey around the eyes and wash it off after 10 minutes. Don’t tug or rub too much as honey is sticky and your skin is too delicate.
3. Olive Oil
You can apply olive oil on to your dry skin and leave it overnight. This method helps as the oil is known for its repairing properties as well as its usefulness as an anti-aging agent, taking care of fine lines.
4. Raw Milk
Apply raw milk underneath your eyes and leave it on for some time and wash it off with water. This remedy works well for the sore skin due to dryness.
5. Rose Water
Apply rose water topically around your eyes. Rose water hydrates your skin and prevents puffy eyes. It reduces the size of your pores and it is also a coolant and toner.
6. Sleeping Habits
Get enough sleep so that your body ensures that it has enough time to repair your dry eyes. Sleep at least for seven hours a night and opt for silk cases to reduce friction against your face.
Medical Treatments for Dryness Around Eyes
Eczema can be treated using over the counter moisturizers and lotions, you may also need oral or topical steroids. Lotions and gels containing an antihistamine, antibiotic, antifungal, antibacterial or anesthetic medications may help you to remove the dry skin patches.
Blepharitis treatment can include steroid ointments and antibiotics. You can also find specific lotions and creams to moisturize the dry skin around your eyes.
When to Visit a Doctor?
Dryness around your skin also indicates a sign of serious condition. If the dryness becomes chronic or the skin gets excessively dry then visit your doctor immediately. The dry skin may get significantly worse if you don’t treat it at home, so always treat it as early as possible.
How to Avoid Dryness Around Eyes?
Follow the below preventive measures to avoid dry skin patches around your eyes.
- Don’t rub your eyes, use harsh products on them, or scrub them with any kind of abrasive. Avoid rubbing your face with unclean hands or towels.
- Be sure to wash your face every day
- Use only hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, and gentle products on your face, including makeup, moisturizers, and facial cleansers.
- Moisturize every day, especially during winter. Make sure you moisturize only after showering or washing your face and use a product that is gentle but also thick enough to actually keep the moisture in.
- Use clean or sterilized brushes or makeup applicators. As much as possible, limit your exposure to makeup, remove it before going to sleep.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Get plenty of sleep and eat a healthy diet which is low in refined carbohydrates and sugar of any kind including sugar from juice or fruit.
- Eat plenty of colorful root vegetables like sweet potatoes, and beets, dark leafy greens like kale & Swiss chard, and healthy fats like those found in tree nuts and olive oil.
- Stay hydrated always drink roughly eight cups of water a day, and don’t drink any caloric beverages like no sugar in your coffee, no juice, etc.
In a Nutshell,
Why do you have dry skin around your eyes? Dryness around eyes can be common during the winter months. Dry, flaky skin around your eyes can be quite troublesome. The skin around the eyes is even more sensitive and prone to dryness, fine lines, wrinkles, and other skin problems.
The dry skin patches around your eyes or eyelids can flake and itch, and become irritated and red. This dry or flaky skin around eyes may be because of many reasons and treatment options.
Hope I explained about the causes and treatment methods for your dry skin around eyes. It’s better to use skin moisturizing creams, Natural cream to get rid of dry skin around eyes, and Aloe Vera creams to get instant remedy from dry patches under eyes. It is your turn to take necessary action and get rid of those irritating dry skin around eyes and eyelids.