Fruit flies are the very small flies, which are found all around the world. They are well noted for their characteristics of lingering around the overripe or rotting fruit. People always Googling to find how to get rid of fruit flies, in order to prevent those fruit flies in the house.
Homemade fruit fly traps are often implemented to kill fruit flies. Today I am going to show you some of the proven methods to get rid of fruits flies fast.
Fruit flies die off when the cold comes, but if you live in a warm climate (or just can’t handle the little annoyances) and want to banish them, you’ll need to rely primarily on fly traps.
Fruit Flies die off when the cold season comes, but if you are living in a warm climate and want to get rid or kill them, then you must need to rely primarily on fruit fly traps.
How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies?
Here are the 6 best ways to catch and kill fruit flies. I assure that, if you implement any one of the below methods then you can get rid of those fruit flies faster.
1. Homemade Fruit Fly Trap with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has numerous health benefits. You can use this to trap the fruit flies. For better results, use unfiltered Apple cider vinegar like Braggs.
- Take unfiltered Apple cider vinegar in a bottle. (You may use the quarter filled bottle too. No need to waste the entire apple cider vinegar)
- Remove the bottle cap.
- Seal the opening of the bottle with a plastic wrap. You can use a rubber band to tightly seal it.
- Take a tiny bamboo skewer and make some holes in the plastic wrap. You can also use safety pins or fork to make holes.
- Now place the bottle near your kitchen table or where you found many fruit flies in your house. i.e. fruit fly infested areas.
- Let’s wait for some time and allow the fruit fly trap made up of apple cider vinegar to do the action.
The fruits flies are attracted by the smell of apple cider vinegar. When fruit flies enter into the bottle via tiny holes, it will stick in the bottle and cannot escape out from it. The fruit flies cannot bear the fermentation smell of Apple cider vinegar. This smell kills the trapped fruit flies.
Note: Make sure that the holes are in necessary width for the fruit flies to enter. If the holes are tiny than the fruit flies, then this method ends in failure.
2. Paper Cone Fruit Fly Trap
This is one of the simple methods to get rid of fruit flies. If you are thinking how to catch fruit flies, this method will help you.
All you need is an apple cider vinegar, a glass jar, paper, and rotten fruits.
- Take a jar and pour some apple cider vinegar in it.
- Also, add some rotten or overripe fruits in it.
- Now fold the paper into a cone shape and place it on the jar. Make sure that the narrow opening of the folded paper should be down and the other end should be the way to enter the jar.
- Stick or tape the paper into the jar. So that make sure that there are no openings in between them.
- That’s all! The homemade fruit fly trap is ready for use.
- Now place this fruit fly trap near your kitchen table and wait for some time.
- The fruit flies come in contact with the rotten fruits or vinegar will be trapped in the jar and cannot go out from this jar. The flies can get in but they can’t find their way out.
Finally, they fruit flies will drown in the jar. You can also pour some warm water into the bottle to kill the fruit flies faster.
No need to throw away the jar. You can use it for another time in the future.
For better results, initially, place the rotten fruits on the table for some time and allow the fruit flies to linger around it. Then remove that rotten fruits and place this homemade fruit fly trap on that place.
Now, the fruit flies have no other option to enter other than the jar. So all of the fruit flies will try to enter the jar containing rotten fruits (fruit fly trap). Since this method attracts more fruit flies, you can catch them completely.
3. Catch the Fruit Flies with Red Wine
How to get rid of fruit flies without a red wine trap?
The smell of Red wine also attract the fruit flies. Usually, Fruit flies tempted to taste the red wine. So you can use this red wine to catch and kill the fruit flies.
- Take the red wine bottle and leave the small amount of red wine in it. That’s enough to catch the fruit flies.
- No need to close the top of the bottle. Just leave the bottle uncovered.
- When the fruit flies try to taste the red wine, they will stick with it.
- Wait for some time so that you can catch all the fruit flies.
- After you catch all of those, throw away the bottle.
Note: No need to use expensive wines to catch fruit flies. You can use the cheap ones.
4. Get rid of Fruit Flies with Honey
Honey is called as liquid gold. You can use this liquid gold as a trap and kill the fruit flies. Due to its strong viscosity, honey can catch the fruit flies.
- When the fruit flies try to consume rotten fruits, they will stick into the honey.
- Now the fruit fly trap is ready to catch the flies.
- Then pour some honey like a paste to cover the rotten fruits.
- Put some rotten fruits in it.
- Take a small bowl.
5. TERRO Fruit Fly Trap
Really it is helpful if you are too busy to do the homemade fruit fly traps. This is ready to use trap and no need of any addition work.
You can trap the fruit flies with this cheap fruit fly trap. This is nontoxic and safe for children. You can get rid of fruit flies for a month with this trap. According to the verified customers, this is the best traps I found with a lot of good customer reviews.
6. The Beer Trap
Much like the vinegar trap, the trick here is to attract the fruit flies to the scent of beer then drown them as soon as they make contact. Also, you can mix the beer with a bit of dish soap so the fruit flies are unable to fly always.
- Pour the beer into a small bowl.
- Wrap the top of the container with plastic wrap then make a few holes in it.
- Place it up near the presence of the fruit flies.
- Wait for few hours and let the beer trap works.
- The beer trap itself can catch and kill those tiny annoying fruit flies.
How to Prevent Fruit Flies?
How do you get rid of fruit flies without preventing them? The primary action you have to take is to remove their sources of attraction.
- Don’t leave any ripened fruits or vegetables exposed. Keep them in the refrigerator.
- Regularly clean the recycling bins.
- Be sure the sides and bottoms of trash cans are free of any small bits of food or spills of drinks.
- Dispose of the empty wine bottles or beer cans.
- Keep the garbage covered.
I think you are clear now about how to get rid of fruit flies with these homemade fruit fly traps. You can catch and kill the fruit flies with the above fruit fly traps.
I am sure that you won’t go and search google about how to get rid of fruit flies again after you try and test the above homemade fruit fly traps. If you found some other fruit fly trapping methods and works well for you, share it here. So that it may be helpful for others.