A hickey or a love bite is just a small bruise that occurs due to kissing or sucking too hard on the skin. This causes breakage of blood capillaries around the hickey and creates blood pooling. So you can get a hickey!
Usually, you don’t need to worry about how to get rid of hickeys. It can last for 1-2 weeks. But the home remedies helps you to heal faster.
How to get rid of Hickeys
Let’s see how to get rid of hickeys. Here I listed 12 proven and effective home remedies to remove it.
1. Ice Treatment
This is one of the most common methods to treat all kinds of injuries. Let me explain you how this method works!
Ice shrinks the blood vessels, thereby it stops blood leakage under your skin. This results in the reduction of swelling and pain around a hickey.
Ice is the best pain reliever. When any part of your body was injured, the damaged tissues in that area become swollen. This may harm you and cause pain. Ice treatment reduces the pain and swelling.
- Apply Ice immediately after you got a hickey.
- Apply Ice pack or ice towel to the hickeys. You can also do an ice massage around the hickey.
- Excessive use of Ice or cold can cause harm to the tissues. So don’t use ice packs for more than 10-15 minutes at a particular place.
- You can use ice packs in every 2 hours for good relief.
Note: Don’t apply ice directly onto your skin.
2. Heat Treatment
This is the second remedy I suggest after the Ice. Usually, you can go for Ice treatment immediately after you got a hickey and after 24 hours of injury, you can prefer heat treatment.
If you or your partner put stress on your muscle, it creates a hickey. So obviously, lactic acid accumulates in the area below that and decreased the blood flow. This causes swelling and severe pain.
Here heat comes to your rescue! Heat treatment removes the lactic acid accumulation and restores the blood flow. So you can be free from hickeys.
- Try heating pads.
- Gently rub that area with a warm water bottle.
- You can also prefer a steam bath.
Note: Avoid direct contact with heat and its devices. Since it may charm you.
3. Peppermint Oil/ Toothpaste
Peppermint heals the broken capillaries and improves blood circulation. Peppermint is usually used for skin infections.
The methanol in the peppermint cools down your hickey and increases blood circulation.
- Apply 2-3 drops of peppermint oil to a hickey and dab it gently.
- You can also use the toothpaste that contains peppermint.
Note: If you have a sensitive skin, dilute the peppermint oil with water. Since peppermint oil creates tingling sensation on your skin.
Also don’t apply peppermint oil/ toothpaste more than once per day to avoid skin irritation.
4. Rub with Alcohol
Alcohol smoothens and cools the hickey. The antiseptic properties of alcohols help to reduce the severity of a hickey.
But it is advisable to use alcohol on the day you got a hickey. After 24 hours, it is not much useful.
- Apply 2-3 drops of alcohol on a hickey
- Gently dab it with a clean cotton swab.
- Alcohol makes your skin dry. So if needed, apply moisturizer.
5. Aloe Vera for hickeys
Aloe Vera is one of the best herbs to treat skin infection. Almost all beauty and skincare products using Aloe Vera as their primary ingredient.
It acts as a natural moisturizer. Thus it nourishes your infected skin and smoothens it.
Further, the anti-inflammatory property of Aloe Vera helps your damaged tissues to get back to its normal condition.
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf and squeeze its juice.
- Apply this juice on a hickey and gently massage it for 5 minutes.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wash your skin with warm water.
- Repeat this 3-4 times per day.
- You can also use Aloe Vera lotion/cream instead of its leaves.
6. Frozen spoon Method
This is a very simple method and similar to the ice treatment. This increases the blood flow and helps faster healing.
- Just place the steel spoon in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Then apply tat spoon on a hickey (Make sure the spoon covers the entire area of a hickey).
7. Consume Vitamin K Foods
Most doctors prefer vitamin K lotion to treat a hickey. So better you consume foods that are rich in vitamin K. The primary function of Vitamin K is to maintain a blood clot.
Vitamin k and Potassium are not same. Here is the list of foods that are high in Potassium. Vitamin K lotion or creams do well in this situation.
Foods that are rich in Vitamin K
- Green Leafy Vegetables
- Beet Greens
- Mustard Greens
- Swiss Chard
- Turnip Greens
- Dandelion Greens
- Brussels Sprouts
8. Rub with Banana Peel
Banana peel contain lutein, an antioxidant and carotenoid vitamin related to vitamin A. Because of this, it may help reduce inflammation. Banana is rich in Vitamin K.
Banana peel contains carotenoid and an antioxidant called lutein. These compounds cool and smoothens your hickey and helps in the faster healing process.
- Apply a banana peel to a hickey for 20 minutes.
- Also, you can rub your hickey with the banana peel for 5-10 minutes.
- You can do this remedy several times per day.
Are you surprised that how to get rid of hickeys with Toothbrush?
Massage the area around the hickey (Not on a hickey) with a new super-soft bristle. This stimulates the blood circulation in the infected area.
Thus you can get rid of hickeys in few hours. You can try the Oral-B Sensi-Soft Ultra Soft Manual Toothbrush. Since due to its ultra-soft nature, it won’t harm your skin and yields best result.
10. Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter works well for a hickey. It nourishes your skin and stimulates the growth of new tissues in the hickey affected area. Cocoa butter is effective only on a warm skin. So follow the below steps to make use of cocoa butter effectively.
- Take a clean cotton cloth and soak it in a warm water for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse the cloth and place it on a hickey for 2-3 minutes.
- After that apply cocoa butter on a hickey.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process twice per day.
Orange is loaded with Vitamin C and it accelerates the healing process.
Orange is ideal for skin infections. It replaces the dead cells around the hickey and stimulates the growth of new cells.
- Apply an orange peel to a hickey for 15 minutes
- You can also gently rub the hickey with orange peel.
- Try to drink 3 glasses of orange juice per day.
12. Massage the hickey with your fingers
This is again a similar method. In this method, there is no need to use any ingredients.
Massaging the infected area smoothens it and increases blood flow.
- Simply massage the hickey for 5 minutes with your fingers
- Repeat this 5-10 times per day for fast relief.
You can also use a comb, toothbrush, lipstick or any cylindrical objects (they does not cause harm to your skin) to massage a hickey.
Don’t worry about hickeys. It will disappear from your body in a weeks’ time. If you want to cure it faster, then try the above home remedies to get rid of hickeys.
Try these methods and share your experiences via comments!