Today, I am going to show you how to get rid of dead skin cells on your face by exfoliation. Not only for face, you can also apply these methods to other parts of your skin to remove the dead skin cells.
Your skin has multiple layers. The outmost layer is termed as epidermis and the layer underneath to it is called dermis. Every time new skin cells are formed in the dermis layer, the unwanted dead old cells are pushed into the utmost epidermis layer.
Routinely, these dead old cells slowly shed from the epidermis layer. But some of these dead cells hang on for a long time in the epidermis layer.
These dead cells block the pores on your skin and be the root cause for all type of skin blemishes. In order to get rid of these problems, you have to exfoliate or scrub your face.
Oily skin is always healthier than dry skin. Since it retains more moisture and makes your skin glowing. But excessive oily skin is more prone to skin problems than dry skin.
If you have an Oily skin, Dry skin, Sensitive or Combination skin types, you have to exfoliate it to get rid of dead skin cells.
- What is Exfoliation?
- Benefits of Exfoliation
- Methods to Getting Rid of Your Dead Skin
- How often Should you Exfoliate Your Face?
- Exfoliation Materials
- How to Get Rid of Dead Skin on Your Face?
What is Exfoliation?
Exfoliation is a process of removing the dead skin cells from the surface of your skin that is the root cause for the clogged pores. For this purpose, it is essential to use a type of face wash that includes tiny, sand-like particles.
Scrubbing those particles on your skin removes the dead skin and makes way for the new cells. So you can get rid of those dead old skin cell and get a soft and flawless skin.
Benefits of Exfoliation
- It opens the clogged pores. So that skin can absorb the essential nutrients.
- It removes the old dead skin cells.
- It improves the texture of your skin and gives a natural shine to it.
- It improves the skin complexion and makes it glow.
- It nourishes your skin and gives smoothness.
- It enhances the proper blood flow to your skin.
Methods to Getting Rid of Your Dead Skin
There are basically two methods to remove the dead skin cells. They are physical and chemical methods.
Physical methods remove your dead skin dead skin through friction.
- Skincare brushes
- Face masks
- Facial scrubs
- Skin lotions
- Homemade Scrubbing methods
Physical methods erase some of the rudiments that bind the dead skin cells to normal living cells.
- Alpha hydroxy acids
- Beta hydroxy acids
- Chemical peels
- Citric acid
- Glycolic acid
- Malic acid
- Salicylic acids
In this article, I am going to concentrate only on the physical methods to exfoliate your skin. And for the time being, I’ll skip the chemical process.
How often Should you Exfoliate Your Face?
The skin needs time to recover, therefore exfoliating 1-2 times per week is enough. Following exfoliation, a body cream should be applied if necessary.
- If you have a Dry, Sensitive, or Combinational skin, exfoliating once per week is enough.
- If you have an Oily skin, exfoliate 2 times per week
You can apply the below exfoliation procedures at night before sleeping.
Caution: Don’t do over exfoliation
Over exfoliation may cause skin irritation and damage. Over exfoliation causes the skin to dry out and the dry skin is prone to wrinkles. So avoid more than 2 times of scrubbing per week.
If you are allergic to any one of the ingredients in the below scrubbing methods, kindly avoid it and try other methods.
Generally, the below supplies are used to exfoliate the skin. If you want these materials you can buy it, else use your fingers for scrubbing.
How to Get Rid of Dead Skin on Your Face?
It is easy to remove your dead old skin cells with homemade scrubbing. Try the below-scrubbing methods to exfoliate your face.
1. Oatmeal Scrubbing
The oatmeal scrubbing is one of the best ways to get rid of ded skin.
Ancient Greeks used Oatmeal to cure their skin problems. They often go for an oatmeal bath. Oatmeal is rich in amino acid and silica. Therefore it acts as a natural moisturizer for your skin.
It removes the dirt, which blocks your facial pores.
- Take 3-4 teaspoons of oatmeal in a bowl.
- Soak it in water for 2-3 hours.
- Then grind it well.
- Add a teaspoon of yogurt in it.
- Stir it well.
- Apply this paste on your face or any parts of your skin.
- Gently scrub it on your skin for about 15 minutes.
2. Exfoliate Your Face with Brown Sugar
The fine sugar particles are more useful in getting rid of your dead skin cells. It is an excellent exfoliator for dead skin cells. Brown sugar also removes the excess oil on your face.
It is a natural humectant, i.e. it attracts moisture from the environment into your skin. Thus it prevents excess dryness on your skin.
Sugar is a natural source of glycolic acid. This penetrates your skin and breakdowns the “glue” that bond between the skin cells. So your skin cells rejuvenate faster and look younger.
This glycolic acid is often used to treat anti-aging and sunburns.
- Take 3 teaspoons of brown sugar.
- Add 2 teaspoons of Olive oil.
- Add some lemon juice.
- Stir them well.
- Now apply this on your skin and rub it gently.
3. The Salt Scrub to Remove Your Dead Cells
Removing dead skin from face is easy with Salt. Salt is enriched with sodium Chloride compound. This act as a natural exfoliate agent and removes the dirt grimes on your skin.
Further, the antiseptic qualities of salt remove the bacteria on your skin and reduces the swelling and itching.
The citric acid in the lemon juice helps to remove the unwanted dead skin cells.
- Take 2 teaspoons of salt in a bowl.
- Add 4 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Mix them well.
- Now apply this on your skin and do the scrubbing.
Note: Use Sea salt or Epsom Salt
4. Coffee Grounds
Coffee is an enemy to cellulite (A persistent internal fat producing dimpling of the skin). It fights against the cellulite and reduces it.
Coffee tightens your skin and provides anti-oxidants. Further, it increases blood flow to your skin.
Coconut oil gives smoothness to your skin and the salt adds extra scrubbing.
- Take a cup of coffee grounds.
- Add 6 tablespoons of coconut oil in it.
- Add 3 tablespoons of sea salt or sugar.
- Mix the ingredients well to make a paste.
- Then scrub your skin with this paste for 10 minutes.
5. Get Rid of Your Dead Skin Cells With Green Tea
- Take 3 tablespoons of dried green tea leaves.
- Add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Add ¾ cup of olive oil and a teaspoon of honey in it.
- Mix all the ingredients
- Scrub your face for 10 minutes.
6. Nourish Your Skin With Baking Soda
Baking soda acts as a natural exfoliate and removes the damaged dead skin cells. The pH level of baking soda neutralizes the alkaline nature of your skin. It is essential for oily skin people. Since it removes the excess oil from the face.
- Take a tablespoon of Baking soda.
- Add a teaspoon of Lemon juice.
- Then add a teaspoon of Honey in it.
- Mix these ingredients and make a fine paste.
- Scrub your face for 5 minutes.
7. Orange Peel Face Scrub
The citrus rich orange peel nourishes your skin and provides smoothness to it. The antibacterial and anti-microbial properties of this peel, effectively treat the skin blemishes. Further orange peel works as skin lightening agent and removes the pigments and scars on your face.
Orange peel will do wonders on your dead skin cells and remove them easily. It is also ideal for wrinkles and premature aging.
Take an orange and peel out its skin. Let the peel dry for 2-3 days in direct sunlight. Then grind the orange peel and make it as a fine powder.
- Add 3 tablespoons of dry orange peel powder in a bowl.
- And 4 tablespoons of honey in it.
- Mix well and make it as a paste.
- Wash your face with fresh water (without soap).
- And apply the paste on your face for 20-30 minutes.
- Then clean your face with wet cotton.
- Wash with cold water.
That’s all about the face exfoliation process. You can get rid of dead skin by these scrubbing methods.
If you are prone to pimples or Acne, try these methods to get rid of it with these simple home remedies.
If you have any queries, feel free to ask me via comments. If you like this post, Share it with your friends.