The burps (belching) that smell like rotten eggs or sulfur burps are caused by hydrogen sulfide gas produced in your stomach as food passes through the digestive system.
Hydrogen sulfide in the stomach gas can make it smell and taste like sulfur or rotten eggs. Many people expel some gas after eating or drinking. But the foul-smelling burps are due to certain foods, infections, and medications.
In this article, I explained about the possible causes and home remedies to get rid of sulfur burps.
- What Causes Sulfur or Rotten Egg Burps?
- How to Get Rid of Sulfur Burps
What Causes Sulfur or Rotten Egg Burps?
There are several foods that cause foul smelling burps. Even people with some diseases or certain infections may also experience burps that taste like rotten eggs.
1. Foods that Cause Sulfur Burps
The main cause for the burps that smell like sulfur is the type of food you consume. To reduce your risk of burps that taste like rotten eggs, avoid consuming the foods that contain sulfur.
Both vegetarian and non-vegetarian foods are responsible for sulfur burps. Try to avoid the below foods to get rid of egg smelling burps.
- Red Meat
- Canned foods
- Whey proteins
- Dairy products, especially Milk.
- Food preservatives such as Guacamole.
- Beverages: Tea, Coffee, and carbonated drinks.
- Medications that contains Amino acids such as cysteine and methionine.
- Vitamins B1 (thiamine), Aneurine andBiotin (Vitamin H and Vitamin B7)
- Fruits: Bananas, Avocados, and watermelon.
- Vegetables: Onion, Garlic, Asparagus, Tomato, Sweet potato, Cabbage, Pack choice, Swiss chard, Watercress, Broccoli, Parsley, Mustard, and Yams.
- Legumes: Beans, Jicama, Peas, Soy, Carob, and Alfalfa
- Nuts and Seeds: Sunflower seeds, Cashew nuts, almonds, sesame seeds, and walnuts.
2. Improper Diet Practice
Eating meals that are rich in protein and sugar contents may lead to eggy burps. These heavy meals are hard to digest and therefore stay in your stomach and colon for a longer period of time. This leads to hydrogen sulfide accumulation in your stomach and releases sulfur smelling burps.
3. Medications or Drugs
Certain medications or drugs may also lead to burps taste like rotten eggs. If anyone of the ingredients in your medication contains sulfur compounds, that dissolve in your stomach and releases sulfur smelling burps.
Avoid the Medications that contains Amino acids such as cysteine and methionine.
4. Gastrointestinal Infection
Gastrointestinal infection is caused by many factors. But if the infection is caused by Helicobacter pylori bacteria, then it leads to burps that smell like rotten eggs or sulfur burps.
Along with the rotten eggy burps, you may experience other associated symptoms such as abdominal pain, stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting and stomach ulcers.
Giardiasis is an infection of the small intestine that is due to the flagellated parasite called Giardia lamblia, also known as Giardia intestinalis. It is the most common cause of parasitic gastrointestinal disease.
The infection due to parasites such as Giardia lamblia may also cause burps that smell like rotten eggs.
Usually, this parasite affects the animals and later it is transmitted to animals. The other causes of this disease are due to oral-fecal transmissions and contaminated source of water from swimming pool, water parks, and hot tubs. It also leads to traveler’s diarrhea.
Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth (SIBO) and can also cause foul smelling burps. Usually, there is a balance between the amounts of bacteria in your intestine. If the bacterial growth is higher than usual, then it leads to SIBO.
If you are infected with any disease such as Crohn’s disease, Celiac disease or Lactose intolerance, then there may be an overgrowth of bacteria. These diseases may also cause burps that smell like rotten eggs or sulfur belching.
7. Lactose Intolerance
Some people may feel that their stomach always hurts after eating and releases rotten egg smelling burps. This may be due to the lactose intolerance. This condition is also known as lactose malabsorption.
People who are infected with this disease are not able to completely digest the sugar (lactose) in milk. It is most likely that food is not digested completely and is broken down by sulfur reducing bacteria that produces hydrogen sulfide.
This leads to burps smell like sulfur or burps smell like eggs, diarrhea, gas and stomach pain after drinking dairy products.
You can reduce this discomfort by avoiding large servings of milk and other dairy products. Also, go for some dairy products that are lactose-free. There are many supplements available in the market that help you to digest lactose.
8. Other Causes
- An empty colon can also cause rotten egg burps. This is fairly easy to treat the disease and control its symptoms.
- If you have problems with your gallbladder, you may experience foul smelling burps.
- Anxiety and stress can cause burping that smells like rotten eggs, as can gastrointestinal symptoms like a hernia or acid reflux.
- Even the Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) also causes bad sulfur burps.
How to Get Rid of Sulfur Burps
There are many ways to stop sulfur burps or rotten egg burps. Let’s see them in detail.
1. Drink Plenty of Water
Water is the best medicine for most of the health problems. Drinking a lot of water can reduce the burps that smell like rotten eggs. Moreover, it also helps you in relieve from bad breath due to sulfur burps. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to free from burps that taste like eggs.
2. Take Fiber-rich foods
The fiber rich food helps you to push the leftover food substances in your stomach and intestine out of the body.
Take Leafy greens, Cereley, Raspberries, Squash, Mushrooms, Oranges, Apple, Brussels sprouts, Blackberries, pears, Bran, Barley, etc to stop burps that taste like sulfur.
3. Avoid Excess Sugar Consumption
The sugar intake builds up gas in the stomach. Limiting the intake of sugar helps you to stop sulfur smelling burps.
Avoid cookies, Cakes, desserts, candies, Canned Drinks, Ice creams, Pastries, Jam, Processed Foods, Puddings, Yeast Extract and other foods that are too sweet.
Do not drink carbonated drinks including diet drinks that contain artificial sweeteners.
4. Cut Down Your Alcohol Consumption
Don’t consume excess alcohol. Excess consumption of alcohol leads to indigestion. Obviously, this results in rotten egg smell burps.
- High protein diet like eggs and poultry increase stress on gastrointestinal tract so reduce your intake of such foods.
- Tale herbal teas, fruit juices, and fluids as they clean the organs and helps get rid of the foul smelling burps.
5. Honey and Lemon Mixture
Sometimes, the Sulfur burps may lead to the pain in the stomach. That time lemon and honey mixture can help you to relieve that gas pain. Further, this mixture will reduce the foul smelling burps.
- Take a cup of warm water.
- Crush the fresh lemon and pour the juice in it.
- Add a teaspoon honey and mix them well.
- Drink this mixture 2 times per day to get relief from sulfur burps and gas.
6. Drink Green Tea
Green tea is one of the essential drink for most of the health hazards. Now it comes to the rescue of burping that smells like rotten eggs.
- Take a glass of water.
- Pour the Green leaves or 1 teaspoon of dried Green tea powder in it.
- Boil the water for 5 minutes.
- Then filter it and drink it 2 times per day to get rid of rotten egg belches.
7. Avoid Heavy or Large Meals
Heavy meals are hard to digest and therefore stay in your stomach and colon for a longer period of time. This leads to hydrogen sulfide accumulation in your stomach and releases sulfur smelling burps.
Avoid those heavy meals to get rid of burps that smell like rotten eggs.
8. Avoid packaged or Canned Foods
It is very important to change to your diet when you’re worried about burps that smell like poop.
Canned or packaged foods are high in sugar and salt content. Further, they are less nutrient and more addictive. These foods are not good for your health. The unhealthy foods cause burps that taste like eggs.
You can get rid of rotten egg burps by avoiding canned or packaged foods.
9. Drink Peppermint Tea
You can get rid of burping and diarrhea as well as sulfur smelling burps with drinking Peppermint Tea
- Take a glass of water.
- Put some peppermint leaves into it.
- Boil it for 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture.
- Consume the tea 2-3 times per day to get free from rotten egg burps.
10. Chew Fennel Seeds
Chewing fennel seeds can reduce the rotten egg smelling burps. Further, it gives you free from bad breath.
Antibiotics can also help with burping caused by bacterial and parasitic infections.
In a Nutshell,
The burps that smell like rotten eggs or sulfur burps are caused by hydrogen sulfide gas produced in your stomach as food passes through the digestive system.
Hydrogen sulfide in the stomach gas can make it smell and taste like sulfur or rotten eggs. The foul-smelling burps are due to certain foods, infections, and medications.
If you experience burps that taste like rotten eggs, then try the above home remedies to get rid of sulfur burps.