Don’t worry about how to get rid of hiccups fast and what to do for hiccups? In this article, I am going to explain you the causes, prevention and how to stop hiccups at home.
Hiccup is not a disease. It is one of the sensations that happened to you. So don’t bother about it and no need to cure it. It is easy to stop hiccups quickly at home.
- What are hiccups?
- Why do you get hiccups?
- How to cure Hiccups?
- How to get rid of hiccups fast at home?
- How to prevent Hiccups?
What are hiccups?
After taking your food, you may feel the unusual sensation in your body with “hic” sound. If your diaphragm tightens and vocal cord closes, then you can get hiccups.
Why do you get hiccups?
The Vagus nerve is one of the cranial nerves, which extends from your brain to abdomen. If the vagus nerve is irritated, you can get hiccups.
Also, hiccups occur due to the common digestive disturbances.
Possible causes of Hiccups
- Eating spicy food.
- Eating faster rather than usual.
- Eating very hot or very cold foods
- Consuming alcohol content.
- Emotional stress
- Drinking carbonated drinks.
- Swallowing air at any cost.
Try these herbs to keep your liver and lungs to be free from toxins. So that you can avoid the digestive problems.
How to cure Hiccups?
How do you make hiccups go away? There are two methods to cure hiccups naturally.
- To distract the vagus nerve from the irritating sensation. So that brain gives importance to the new sensation rather than hiccups.
- To make changes in breathing. I.e. Additional intake of carbon dioxide to your blood. So your body concentrates on getting oxygen and forgetting about the irritating sensation of the vagus nerve.
How to get rid of hiccups fast at home?
Here I list some of the proven and easy remedies to stop hiccups.
1. Scare Therapy
The best way to get rid of hiccups naturally is the Scare therapy. It works well all the time. Scaring rushes your adrenalin and thereby relieves your vagus nerve from irritation.
If you are scared, then you will be more anxious about what is to happen to you next. So obviously the vagus nerve relieves from the irritation and come back to its normal form. So you can easily fix the hiccups.
You can try anyone of these below ideas
- Watch a Horror Movie.
- Getting shocked while watching Snake, Crocodile, insects or any animals.
- A rapid shock while driving.
- Someone makes you angry.
- Let somebody surprises you, etc.
Note: Don’t be scared too much!
2. Pull out your tongue
This silly method works fine for most of the people. This is the fastest way to get rid of hiccups. You may be feeling shy to do this method in public! But this is one of the instant remedies.
Just pull out your tongue with your fingers for a while. This action could ease the diaphragm spasms and thereby ease the vagus nerve.
3. Tickling for some time
How to get rid of hiccups fast with tickling? This may be funny! But this method works well.
A study published in the European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology proved that tickling can cure hiccups.
Gently rub the tip of a clean cotton swab to the roof of your mouth for about one minute. This slight tickling can distract you for some time. So your vagus nerves must be released from the irritating sensation. Thus you can get rid of hiccups quickly.
You can find your tickling spots with your sweet ones. Have fun and stop hiccups easily.
4. Hold your breath for a moment
Getting rid of hiccups is possible with holding your breath. Hold your breath and close your mouth for few seconds. Repeat this till you will be free from hiccups.
Surprisingly, this is a great way to stop hiccups. Since, while you holding your breath, your body lacks oxygen content.
So it gives more attention to oxygen intake rather than hiccups. So automatically, the vagus nerve is diverted from irritating sensation and what happens then? Hiccups are gone…
5. Breathe into a paper bag
Breathe into a paper bag slowly and deeply. This method increases the carbon dioxide amount in your body. So your respiratory system needs deeper breaths to control the suffocation. So it may ease your diaphragm spasms. So you can easily get rid of hiccups.
This method works more or less similar to the above method (Hold your breath) to stop hiccups.
6. Drink Water with Clogged Ears
Drink a glass of cold water with a straw and close both of your ears to get rid of hiccups faster.
Are you in a dilemma that this method will work or not? Don’t worry. In the Canadian Family Physician, Doctor Ronald Goldstein recommends that drinking a cup of cold water while blocking your ears will help you to get rid of hiccups.
Some of the branches of vagus nerve reach your auditory system. So if you block your ears with fingers, then it will stimulate the vagus nerve to function normally.
If your hiccups last long, then you should go for antacid tablets. But be sure that the tablet must contain high magnesium content. Magnesium tablets do the miracle in curing hiccups.
Magnesium has the ability to reduce the irritation and ease the vagus nerve. Thus, you can get rid of hiccups easily. Mostly one tablet is enough, but if need then you can take 2 tablets.
Take a spoonful of honey place it at the back of your tongue. Now taste the honey as you like to get rid of hiccups.
No wonder in it. The sweet flavor stimulates the irritated vagus nerve and makes it to function as usual. So the sweet flavor in the honey helps you to stop the hiccups.
Again this will work like the honey. A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine proved that this method is effective in curing hiccups.
It stimulates your taste buds and distracts the vagus nerve and reduces its irritating sensation. So it cures the hiccups with a sweet sensation.
- Keep a spoonful of sugar under your tongue.
- Don’t chew the sugar.
- Just leave it to dissolve naturally.
10. Drink a glass of cold water
The cold water shocks the normal system. So it causes you to take a deep breath. This helps you to get cure from hiccups.
- Drink a glass of cold water.
- Gargle with cold water for a while.
- Also, you can place a piece of ice onto the back of your neck to ease the nerves.
Due to the sour taste, Vinegar is vital to distract the nerve from the irritating sensation.
- Swallow ½ spoon of vinegar.
- Then drink a cup of cold water.
Vinegar helps you to stop hiccups by ease your vagus nerve.
12. Peanut butter
Peanut butter not only tastes good but also helpful in curing hiccups. This is one of the ancient home remedies to cure hiccups instantly. Follow the below steps to get rid of hiccups.
- Take a spoonful of peanut butter.
- Swallow it without chewing.
- After 5 minutes drink a glass of ice water.
Lemon helps to distract the vagus nerve with its sour taste. So you can easily stop the hiccups with the help of lemon.
A study published in The New England Journal of Medicine showed that lemon is helpful in treating hiccups.
- Just crush the fresh lemon and drink its juice.
- You can also add some salt to the lemon juice (optional).
14. Dill seeds
How to get rid of hiccups fast with Dill seeds? This is one of the old folk remedies to cure hiccups.
Swallowing a spoonful of dill seeds can help you to stop hiccups faster.
Yoga has a solution to stop hiccups in the name of Prayanama. Prayanama is one of the breath controlling methods in Yoga. Pranayama opens the vocal cords and thereby stops the hiccups immediately.
- Breathe deeply through your nostrils. Now you can feel that your lungs and heart are expanding.
- Quickly breathe out through your nostrils. Now your chest and lungs shrink and back to its normal form.
- Repeat this process for about 10 minutes to get rid of hiccups.
How to prevent Hiccups?
There are some ways to prevent the hiccups.
- Avoid carbonated and alcoholic drinks.
- Don’t overeat at any time.
- Slowly chew and eat your food.
- Don’t eat in a hurry
- Be calm and avoid emotional stress.
- Practice Pranayama yoga.
Keep your lungs detox free to avoid the unusual breathing problems.
Don’t worry about how to get rid of hiccups fast and what to do for hiccups?. Getting rid of hiccups is easy with home remedies. Follow the above ways to stop the annoying hiccups at any time. Feel free to share your experiences here.