It’s that time of the year when one is tempted to feast on modak recipe, Lord Ganesha’s favourite. But many, including me, look at its ingredients and worry about how it will wreak havoc on our waistlines. I wanted a way out.. have one’s cake and eat it too kind of a situation.
Now, if you look at, modaks are steamed. So we have cut out a lot of calories from oil. But there’s still the outer covering made out of white rice. Plus there’s jaggery. Add to that the naturally occurring sugar in coconut. Then there is oil too in coconut. There’s the peanut stuffing too. Peanuts will again add to the calories, one worries!
Here I will tell you that coconuts and peanuts have healthy fats that can actually help you to lose weight! But that does not mean that one can lose control and feast on them. Like I always say, practice moderation. That’s the key. To give it a healthier touch, I’ve replaced rice flour with whole wheat flour. Now, go ahead and enjoy!
Whole-wheat Modak Recipe
Let’s see the ingredients and how to make the modak recipe.
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Warm water – 1/4 cup (more if required)
- Fresh coconut (grated) – 1 cup
- Jaggery (grated or powder) – 3/4 cup
- Elaichi powder – 1 tsp
- Add salt and oil to the flour.
- Mix well.
- Add warm water to form a dough.
- It should be slightly tighter than a chapati dough.
- Keep it covered for 30 mins.
- Mix coconut and jaggery in a non-stick pan.
- Heat with constant stirring till jaggery melts and blends well with the coconut.
- Add elaichi powder.
- Peanuts (roasted and ground) – 1/2 cup.
- Jaggery powder – 1/2 cup.
- Mix the two in a non-stick pan till jaggery melts and blends well with the peanut powder.
- Make small balls out of the dough.
- Roll out each ball to make poories.
- It should not be too thin.
- Stuff each poori with the jaggery or peanut filling.
- Shape into modaks.
- Steam for 25 to 30 mins on medium flame till the modaks look translucent
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
- Brush each modak with a little oil or melted ghee.
- Bake them for about 20 mins.
- Let it cool in the oven.
That’s all. Tasty modak was ready. Now taste this delicious Modak recipe with your family.